The ability to speak in front of an audience is mandatory for everyone who is somehow involved in social interaction. This article will present useful recommendations and the secrets of public speaking for beginners.
Features of public speaking
The main purpose of public speaking is to convey certain information, inspire and give impetus to action. Some features bring the audience and the speaker together and improve the interaction between them. The main problem for beginners in oratory is the fear of speaking. It is the main defense function of the body and cannot be eliminated. In addition to worry, there are some mistakes that speakers can make when communicating with an audience. The goals may be different, but public speaking is always a tool. Like any tool, it works only “in the hands” of the master. Fortunately, the peculiarities of working with listeners can be learned.
The speaker’s speech is a type of business communication, persuasive, influencing appeal to the public. From the soliloquy of Hamlet, in which an actor speaks on stage, public speaking differs in terms of two-way communication and the presence of a goal. The speaker interacts with the audience, listens to it, and answers questions. Before preparing your first speech, consider the main features of public speaking:
- Oral speech. Listening to information is different from reading printed text or watching a video. It must be considered when preparing: your ability to control your voice is very important. Oral speech dictates its requirements for the text itself: you should not write what you cannot pronounce easily and quickly on cards.
- Feedback. Instant audience feedback is something speakers love to stand for and hate at the same time. You communicate, immediately see the audience’s reaction, and recharge from the audience. Thanks to this feature, you can adjust the arguments and style of presentation on the go. But at the same time, it is psychologically difficult, especially for beginners.
- Little things don’t exist. Everything matters your clothes, posture, facial expressions, and gestures. It is important how you get on stage and how you say hello. It is full-fledged communication, and people will read verbal and non-verbal information.
The secrets of public speaking
Here are a few tips for successful public speaking. They will help make your speech interesting and engaging:
- Dynamic and planned start of the performance. It is important to think over and perhaps even learn the beginning of the speech. There should be no errors or stutters.
- Creating tension allows you to create a controversy between the audience and the speaker.
- Restrained emotions. The audience should observe the excitement and enthusiasm of the speaker. At the same time, the speaker should experience pleasure (and high) even from excitement.
- Conciseness of speeches. It is better to build a speech in the form of a dialogue. It is necessary to talk with the public and observe its reaction, i.e., not so much to speak to the public as to communicate with it.
- Speech should not be boring for the audience; increase energy and intonation, and add emotions.
- Maintain contact with the audience;
- When preparing a speech, it is necessary to highlight the main idea of the appeal and be sure to convey it to the audience.
- The end of a speech is just as important as the beginning. It should be clear and concise. The message should end beautifully and emotionally.
- Your main controller is time. The audience can listen attentively and perceive your ideas only for a limited. Short, clear, understandable, persuasive, and accessible phrases are expected of you.